Microwave

Old 03-28-18, 06:34 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Microwave

I moved into a condo where there is a regular stove but it looks like at one time there was a microwave above it.There is a big space and a cutout where one would go. It seems to be one of those stoves with the microwave built in on top. There is obviously a receptacle behind this stove.Question, instead of a countertop model, I would have to replace the single stove with a stove that has the microwave built in the top?
Would the receptacle at the base of this stove be ok- 220?
Otherwise I would have to install a microwave above this stove and get a dedicated 220 line from the box on the opposite side of the room which is too costly.
Is my answer to either get a countertop one or a stove with a built in on top and plug into the receptacle that the stove has now?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-18, 06:41 AM
P
Received 112 Votes on 88 Posts
Stove top microwaves that I've installed are 120V. The stove microwave combo uses a 240V plug because of the stove, but the microwave uses 120V.

Old 03-28-18, 07:17 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A homedepot salesman came over and said I would need a dedicated receptacle if I wanted to mount a microwave over the existing stove.
Does that sound right?
that is a big space over the existing stove with a old stove combo microwave used to be

Old 03-28-18, 07:31 AM
P
Received 112 Votes on 88 Posts
It depends on the microwave power needs. It's best to run a dedicated circuit for the cabinet/wall mounted microwave. If the instruction state dedicated circuit then that's what's needed.