Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing exhaust fan/light combo in bath that currently only has a fan

Old 03-30-18, 08:07 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

hi.

yesterday i install a new exhaust fan/light combo in our master bath. the master bath already had individual switches for the fan and the light.

I want to do the same thing in our boys' bathroom but there is only a single switch for the exhaust fan that does not have a light. how do I go about installing new four wire cable so I can then install the combo fan and light?

once I find the end of the cable on the boys' bathroom attached to the exhaust fan I can follow it to the where it enters the wall for the switch itself. what else am i looking for in the attic? im just trying to piece this all together to see where i need to hook up the new four wire cable.

if i am not able to figure this out does anyone have a rough idea of how much an electrician would charge? i could swing 200-300 bucks but if its gonna be a $700 project there is no way my wife will say yes. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-18, 08:47 AM
L
Received 71 Votes on 65 Posts
You may pull another 14-2 instead of replacing with 14-3. If you choose to just run 14-2, tie neutral (white wire) wire together and ground wires together.

You will have to remove existing junction box for the switch and replace it with 2 gang box. You could put a double switch in a single gang box, but you will have to cut a hole above the switch to fish wires in the junction box.

Also, make sure you have room for 2 gang junction box. Sometimes the space between studs are so narrow and you don't have room for 2 gang box.

To remove existing junction box, you can cut nails holding the junction box with hex saw by inserting it between stud and the junction box. Be careful not to damage the wire.

Once you remove the junction box or cut a hole above the switch, you will be able to push the wire down from the attic and pull out into the junction box.

If you choose to replace existing cable with 14-3, you can just cut old cable in the wall and attic as far as you can and abandon.

Old 03-30-18, 11:53 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thank you. i think i can do this now that i have one under my belt. i just need to dig through all the insulation.

Old 03-30-18, 12:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
do I go about installing new four wire cable so I can then install the combo fan and light?
Grounds aren't counted so I think you meant 3-conductor, black, white, red. However if power comes in at the fan technically to meet current code you do need 4-conductor, black, white, red, blue because a neutral is now required at the switch even if not needed.

Old 03-30-18, 03:50 PM
L
Received 71 Votes on 65 Posts
It is very unlikely that power comes to the fan first. Space is very limited in there.
However, this doens't mean I have never seen a fan installed such a way.
I have seen connections made outside of the fan without a junction box probably because space was very limited.

Old 03-30-18, 04:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And sometimes I give mire information then needed.