Kitchen becomes a Can of WORMS!!!

Old 04-02-18, 03:10 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen becomes a Can of WORMS!!!

I've tried to search past threads and couldn't find anything that pertains to my situation. Due to a leaking dish washer, I have been forced into remodeling my kitchen. I am doing 90% of the work myself. The house was built in 1928. When we purchased the house 10 yrs ago from a flipper. We were told all the knob & tube had been replaced. Guess what, it has not! I know "shocker". As we opened up the walls we found many many errors with the Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC and Structure. I have corrected everything but the electrical and one structural component, as it has knob and tube running through it.
Here is my dilemma. I have found that one 15amp circuit breaker is running; the Dinning room light, the adjacent living room outlets, main level office outlets & lights, Upper bedroom outlets, basement office, basement Laundry room lights, basement stairwell lights as well as the upstairs stairwell and hallway lights. Needless to say these all seem to be on the same knob & tube wire. I have the walls and ceiling open to the Kitchen along with the ceiling in the dinning room. I'm going to rewire these rooms to new circuits. However, I don't have the funds to gut the entire house to remove all this knob and tube. Can I, and How do I go about removing as much Knob and Tube without a full Gut? I need to cut the knob and tube wires to fix a structural error in the Dinning room. This will allow me to place the Dinning room, laundry room and both stairwells and the upper hall way onto dedicated circuits. How do I get or keep everything else connected? Can I junction the old K&T Wires inside new boxes for the new lights?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-18, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

So what are you telling us...... everything you listed is on one circuit ?
If not... you need to ID what is on what circuit so you can see how to eliminate the old wiring.

Old 04-02-18, 06:14 PM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
Wiring including knob and tube can be replaced little by little in any order.

Most likely you will have to install new circuits going off in different directions or along new routes to get receptacles spaced at proper intervals along the walls (as well as provide more power by having more branch circuits for different rooms or more branch circuits altogether).

New routings may not be energized by being tied into old knob and tube wiring or other code nonconforming wiring or other grandfathered wiring (in junction boxes).

Orphaned existing sections of code non-conforming wiring may be re-energized by tying into new wiring.

Some insurance companies may refuse to take you or renew you until all the knob and tube wiring is finally replaced or decomissioned..

Old 04-02-18, 07:27 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pete,
All of that listed is on one 15amp circuit. How it's never tripped I'll never know. I just want too make sure that it will be proper if I cut the old K&T re wire as much as I can with new and properly to ou exceed code. And reconnect the existing K&T can't remove back up into proper accessible junction boxes.

Old 04-03-18, 05:54 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
It was not unusual way back when for one 15 amp knob and tube circuit to cover the entire front half of the house and another 15 amp circuit to cover the entire back of the house with both sharing a neutral that ran separately across the middle of the house. Or something similar.