Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Best way to reconnect cut sprinkler solenoid electric line?

Old 04-06-18, 01:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So I had a mess of plumbing issues having to do with tree roots and before it was all done I called a plumber. Well they cut through the electric line to my sprinkler system. They fixed it by splicing the wires together with wire nuts and left it like that in the ditch to cover over with dirt. Obviously that wont take long to corrode. How do I do this right? Maybe shrink wrap around the break?

Old 04-06-18, 01:31 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I had to move a section of sprinkler wire when I installed the slab for my spa, I ran the wire around and for each joint I twisted and wire nutted the wires then took a heavy zip lock bag, filled with grease and then taped it up.

If I had epoxy handy I would have use that but this was what I had handy!

Old 04-06-18, 01:50 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used those 3/4” or 1” PVC junction boxes and filled the holes with the yellow foam that expands like crazy. Inside the box, I did lots of electrical tape around wire nuts and outside the box, after spraying the foam, again taped around all the filled areas (usually spent 1 roll of tape per box). I did this on 4 areas and have had no issues. A little more work.

Old 04-06-18, 01:54 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The best connection will be to solder the wires together, second best would be a crimped connection.

Once spliced, you can buy underground splice kits or make a DIY version. You basically need a rubber sleeve to fill with silicone-based grease or caulk then seal it around the splice area. Various kinds of materials would work, best option would probably be a heat shrink tube.

Old 04-06-18, 03:32 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, I would use these water tight wire nuts and install a fiberglass handhold around the splices
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DryConn-...2114/202889871

https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-0-in-L-...ve-Box/1060257
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: