AFCI required?

Old 04-25-18, 08:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AFCI required?

I am in a 1916 Pittsburgh home. Most K&T was removed a few years ago when we did some remodeling. Some remains and I am replacing it. Many of the other circuits in the house are not grounded, so iíd like to replace those at some point as well.

I am confused about if I am required to install AFCI breakers per NEC, since I am rewiring an entire circuit. Or since it is not new construction am I exempted?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 09:00 PM
L
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
As far as I know if the wiring is modified, then you are required to have AFCI breakers installed.
Check with a inspector in your jurisdiction to be sure.

Old 04-26-18, 08:58 AM
P
Received 100 Votes on 80 Posts
Depending on your jurisdiction's code cycle the NEC now requires AFCI outlets or breakers on new/ modified circuits.

Old 04-26-18, 05:55 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
As others have said, most locales have switched to a newer NEC cycle that requires AFCI on most new circuits. You'd have to check with your local building department to confirm what code cycle you are on and what if any amendments they have.

I personally think at this point, it's a worthwhile investment for the safety that AFCI circuits provide.

Old 04-27-18, 12:00 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
PA is still on NEC 2008 / IRC 2009. There is no separate rehab code so if you touch it you then needs to be on current code. City of Pittsburgh requires an electrician to get a permit.

E3401.4 Additions and alterations. Any addition or alteration to an existing electrical system shall be made in conformity with the provisions of Chapters 34 through 43.

E3902.11 Arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection. All branch circuits that supply 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere outlets installed in family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreations rooms, closets, hallways and similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a combination type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.