Running power to shed - connection into house

Old 05-03-18, 06:08 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running power to shed - connection into house

My house new construction has a post light in the front yard. When the PVC runs up the foundation into the house it just runs up the foundation then behind the siding. How did they have this enter the house? I always thought you needed an LB on the outside then drill through?

I would like to run power to my shed in the back and use the same method the electrician who wired the postplight did (no ugly lb on side of house). I got a quote from him which was over 1k so no thanks will do myself (permits will be pulled). Any ideas how they ran this PVC behind the sigind then though the wall? Just a 90degree bend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 06:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please post picturers so we can see what you are seeing.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 05-03-18, 07:22 PM
H
See below...needs to be rotated clockwise. That's all you see. It is coming up then under the siding. There is another as well that is not going into a corner, and therefore def. No lb behind it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 05-03-18 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Rotate image.
Old 05-03-18, 07:46 PM
At this point I'm not sure what they did. How about another picture but higher giving a better view of the siding. Is that vinyl siding?

Old 05-03-18, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
I suspect the UF exits the wall right into the PVC .

Old 05-03-18, 08:52 PM
PCBoss beat me to it. After some thought on itI was coming back to ask if it was UF or individual wires.

Old 05-03-18, 09:14 PM
H
Yes it is vinyl siding. What you see is the last lowest row of siding with the pvc running up under it from the ground. It's about 6 inches of concrete foundation before the 1st row of siding.

So your saying all they did was stick conduit stright up, drill a hole through the exterior sheathing, pull the uf through from the inside out then down through the conduit? Is it ok to run it through the wall and leave that bit of uf exposed before it goes into the conduit? I always was under the impression it should be in conduit from inside the wall, through the sheathing, down into the ground... till its buried deep enough...then can exit run under grpgro (direct burial cable) then enter pvc back up into shed.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-03-18, 09:30 PM
What they did seems a bit of a hack to me if the cable runs for any distance under the siding because it is hidden but not protected from nails or screws someone might put through the vinyl.