help needed with outdoor light fixture

Old 05-28-18, 07:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help needed with outdoor light fixture

I am looking for some advice on correcting what I believe is an issue with an outdoor light fixture.

Walk out basement with sliding doors. Originally had a light fixture affixed to the foundation next to the doors. It was mounted flush with the wall, using an electrical box that is recessed into the concrete.

A stone face was later added to the outside foundation wall. The stone face has fairly wide mortar joints that are recessed from the stone. It seems the masons added a box extender to the original box and the light attached to that. The result is that the (metal) box sticks out of the wall quite a bit and the light fixture is loosely attached to that.

This definitely doesn't look right (functionally or aesthetically).

What can I do to correct this?

Attached Images  
Old 05-28-18, 08:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You probably need to use a box extender and longer screws but you need to remove the light so you can get a better look. When you do post a picture.

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-18, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
That doesn't look like a box extender to me...just another box on top of the original.

Old 05-29-18, 01:55 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
That doesn't look like a box extender to me...just another box on top of the original.
Yep, and not even weatherproof.

Old 05-29-18, 04:38 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, that fixture looks like it is sitting out from the wall about 1 1/2” ,am I correct?, I might try an remove that box and install a round PVC plaster ring, at any rate it’s not going to be an easy fix, it may even require some new motar to level things out.
Geo

Old 05-29-18, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I have seen what looks like the PVC siding blocks that match the stone. I don't know where to purchase them.

Old 05-29-18, 07:57 AM
J
Thanks for the responses.

It's going to be a while before I can get back there (it's a second home). I believe Gunguy is correct about it being an extra box on top of the existing box (as opposed to an extender). My fault in describing it as such. Definitely not weatherproof - it looks like a standard indoor box. I've just been lucky so far since it is in a location relatively protected from the weather (and the light is rarely used).

The plastic box extender in Ray's post is the correct extender for this application?

I have seen some PVC mounting plates. Once the box is extended to the level of the stone, would something like the attached photo be appropriate? I will be changing the fixture (which is how I noticed the problem). I'm sure I can find a plate like this in a color/style that will match the wall and fixture if that's the correct way to go.

Do I use mortar to seal/even the area under the plate, as suggested by Geochurchi? Or will silicone be okay, assuming the spaces aren't overly large?

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-18, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That type of ring will work but you'll need to cut the center out so you can slip it over the box.
You may also need to grind the back to fit over the different height rocks.

You might possibly be able to remove the metal box extension and then use that ring but you'd still need to trim the back to fit over the rocks.

I looked for an hour and couldn't find a ring that would match the rocks.
Doubtful one is made as there are too many different sized rocks.

Old 05-30-18, 09:10 PM
J
Thanks, everyone.

The extra box that is now being used as an extension can be removed. I also don't see a problem grinding a PVC ring to fit over the stone face.

I appreciate you taking the time to look for a ring that would match the stone. That really isn't an issue. The light fixture is going to have a mounting plate of some kind anyway. I will either find a pvc ring to match the fixture (which I have yet to buy) or paint the ring to match. The fixture will either be black or dark brown so it shouldn't be hard to match.

Old 05-30-18, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Try aifittings.Com and look at the siding boxes for many options .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: