2nd floor fishing wire

Old 06-05-18, 07:02 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2nd floor fishing wire

I want to add some wall thermostats for baseboard heaters.
The existing source wire for the baseboards runs inside a type of quarter round. It's an L shape quarter piece of wood hollowed out with cable inside it like a raceway, but it didn'td seem to be up to code.
I could run the cable below the floors but I assume that means destroying the drywall on the floor below.
The wall is lathe and solid wood behind that so not sure if I could run nm in there as it wouldn't be protected well.
If I go with the floor option, does it involve cutting a small square every 24" (old joists) and then trying to fish through that or could I cut notches in the joists to make it easier. It's cross hostsj to make it harder!

Any other easier options?

Old 06-05-18, 07:47 PM
A
Received 49 Votes on 44 Posts
How old is it? May have been OK in 1920.

What about going up to the attic, over, and back down?

Old 06-06-18, 05:32 AM
Q
Building is from 1900 but the wire is nm so must have been done later.
there is a 3rd floor above then attic so not easy for the 2nd floor.
I could fita 5" hole under each joist and then use a 6' flex drill bit or just a right angle drill?

Old 06-06-18, 05:46 AM
B
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Where is current t'stat? How often would you be changing it? A t'stat located on the baseboard heater makes the electrical connection easy. I am assuming the heater requires 240 vac and therefore the t'stat must be a 2 pole switch. An electrical cable for this type switch, mounted on a wall. down to the baseboard heater connection is stiff and difficult to work with in my opinion.

Old 06-06-18, 12:37 PM
Q
Existing tstat was on baseboard heater but these are not very accurate plus I want to upgrade the apartment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: