Need advice on generator interlock or transfer switch

Old 06-06-18, 11:11 AM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Need advice on generator interlock or transfer switch

This is for a 2004 mobile home and a Generac Rapid Start 5500-running-watt portable
generator. The main panel (Cutler-Hammer BR 100 amp) is in a location such that there is only about 6 inches on either side of it and it's mounted flush. All the x-fer switches I see are surface mount and say they are designed to be installed to the left or right of a surface mount panel. I was going to do an interlock but I don't have any room to install the generator breakers in the panel (main breaker is at lower right).

I'm having an electrician do the work but I need to figure out a setup that's going to work and buy the needed equipment for him to install, and I can't quite figure out what to buy to make it work. Any suggestions?

Ignore the arrows in the pic, this was part of the home inspection report pointing out a double tab and an open knockout.

Attached Images    
Old 06-06-18, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is there a main panel on a pole that supplies that panel?

Last edited by pcboss; 06-06-18 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 11:46 AM
D
There is not, meter is mounted to an enclosure outside, no other panel. I actually have 11 inches on the left side but I'd need a surface mount x-fer switch as the door to the furnace is right there, and I haven't seen a surface mount.

Attached Images   
Old 06-06-18, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you show the back of the meter socket? It would be unusual for the service panel to be inside the home. I also see a 4 wire feeder which leads me to believe the service is outside.

Old 06-07-18, 09:03 AM
D
Ok, I took a closer look and there's a panel at the bottom of the meter box with 2 pairs of breakers in it. Couldn't get a better pic as it doesn't open very much.

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-18, 10:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do you know what the two breakers on the left go to? Does it look like there are knockouts for more breakers?

Old 06-07-18, 10:38 AM
D
I would imagine they belong to the absent second meter. Doesn't look like there are any knockouts, but even if there were that would be a very bad place to have to get to in the winter for a transfer switch. It's also the complete opposite end of the house the generator is stored at.

My neighbors utility room is the same layout as mine, took a look at his yesterday, he has the same switch I am looking at getting (Reliance Controls 31406CRK) surface mounted above the panel and the conduit snaking through a hole in the wall to the panel. I don't really see any other way to do it. They make a flush mount kit for that switch but the only place with enough room is above the panel, and that's where most of the wiring enters the panel so I don't think there's room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: