Power out in half the house...

Old 07-11-18, 02:14 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power out in half the house...

Hello! First post here, I'm having issues with my power, I know the cable bringing power from the master box needs to be replaced soon, but I'm still getting 120v off my breakers except two, that are all older breakers that I haven't seen before they say ther are 120v / 240v both. But they are all wired as 120v's two of them are reading voltages off the charts when I tested them for 120v so I checked for 240v and it read too low for 240v (showed like 180v or so) any time I try to use a hot plate or such the lights dim, fans slow down, a.c. slows down

also the back half of the house has no power.

I was trained as an apprentice Electrician but this is a bit beyond my knowledge, I can't figure out what the problem is.

Last edited by Kichirou; 07-11-18 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-11-18, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
You have a loose neutral. If it affects the whole house you need to call the power company trouble line right now. If it is just a few circuits the problem is most likely in the panel.

Old 07-11-18, 04:56 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify, the only circuit that works properly at the moment is the front bedroom, living room lighting, and porch lighting. The circuit that is having dimming issues is the kitchen, hallway light and middle bedroom light, the living room outlets and middle bedroom outlets quit working, the bathroom outlets and lights quit (total power loss) and the back bedroom also had total power loss

everything was working before. Also I should note that every outlet in the house is a back-stabber, and I've been in the process of replacing them. Everything was working fine until last night the kitchen circuit dimmed then had total power loss throughout the house, then the power came back on with the dimmed lights int the kitchen circuit and all the things that had quit.

Old 07-11-18, 05:09 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Follow pcbosses advice ASAP.
An issue with incoming power neutral can destroy anything thats plugged in.
I've even seen it burn down a house a few times.
DO NOT WAIT TO MAKE THE CAll to the power company!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: