Where to bring shed wiring into house?

Old 07-15-18, 02:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to bring shed wiring into house?

[Picture attached below]

We recently bought a shed and I've dug a trench from the shed to the back of our house. I'm burying an electrical wire inside rigid metal conduit in the trench, and intend to connect the wire to my main circuit breaker panel in my garage.

I can bring the trench, conduit, and cable to pretty much anywhere along the back of the garage. Does it make sense to penetrate into the garage in the SAME stud bay as the breaker panel and then just travel straight up to the panel? I'm a little nervous about the number of wires that are probably within that bay and the possibility of striking one as I drill into the bay from outside. Or perhaps I should come in through an adjacent stud bay and then drill through a stud? What would a pro do?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-18, 03:31 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not your question but a possible red flag. What do you mean by:
rigid metal conduit
If you mean EMT, EMT should not be buried because it rusts out in a short time. Best for most cases is PVC conduit. You can use "real" Rigid or IMC but it is more difficult to work with.

As to your question I'd go in the less crowed bay.

Old 07-15-18, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It might make sense to check how many cables already come Iinto the bottom of the panel. I think you should remove the drywall stud to stud, especially since you are using conduit . You cannot run individual conductors in the wall without conduit .

Old 07-15-18, 05:57 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by: rigid metal conduit
I used the genuine galvanized-dipped rigid stuff, not EMT. And it was indeed a pain to work with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: