Seeking Information About Variable Speed Foot Switch

Old 07-18-18, 05:43 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seeking Information About Variable Speed Foot Switch

Greetings to all!
My name is Frank, and I'm brand new to DIY's forums (and to DIY for that matter. I'm a semi-retired IT professional with a few decades of experience. I'm also a Jack of All Trades, but Master of None, I LOVE to design and build any of a large variety of useful things, either for myself or for others.

A project that has my attention right now is how to convert an electronic variable speed foot control from a sewing machine of fairly recent vintage into a controller for power tools, specifically a Dremel rotary tool, so that I am able to regulate its revs using my foot rather than the control wheel at the aft end of the unit.

The switch that I have and plan on using is made by a company named FDM and it is their model KD 1902. Trying to find technical information on the specific switch or even a schematic has turned into a project unto itself! Since I don't really have hours and days to while away searching for information in the vast sea of information we call the 'net, I thought I would stop here and make inquiry of my Brother DIYers and any electrical pros among us if they could steer me towards the information I seek.

That's all I have for now, other than to say how happy I am to be here!

Until later,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-18, 11:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's basically a stand alone 120v voltage controller. There is a two wire cord from the plug to the the three pin receptacle and another two wire cord to the foot pedal. The three pins on the jack are always live 120v, variable and neutral.

Cut the three pin jack off the two cables. Send hot from the power cord to the pedal. The returning wire is the hot to the Dremel. The neutral from the power cord goes directly to the neutral of the Dremel.

Old 07-24-18, 10:05 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Good morning Pete,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm VERY excited that I discovered this forum as I often have questions I find it difficult to find a straight answer to with an Internet search, but that a DIYer with more experience than I will know the answer to straight away - sorta like you with this question!

To make certain that I understand you correctly, let me tell you my take away from what you have told me.

I'm going to cut off the connector that went to the sewing machine. Then, I am going to take one of the two wires from the cord that is left and attach it to the "Hot" terminal of the polarized duplex plug I'll be using, while the other wire will be connected to the "Neutral" terminal of the plug. The Dremel tool I have has a polarized, male plug, so there won't be any question as to which is the neutral feed and which is the hot (the neutral plug always being the wider of the two blades). Then after setting my Dremel tool to its highest speed setting, I'll be able to control the tool's speed using the foot control!

Haz I got it right, perfesser, or did I misunderstand something?

Thanks again Pete for the explanation. You have solved a riddle that I was cudgeling my brains out trying to understand.

Frank

Old 07-24-18, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
I think you have it right.

Name:  plug.png
Views: 202
Size:  4.4 KB