Replacing 3-way switches with smart Bluetooth switches

Old 07-30-18, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing 3-way switches with smart Bluetooth switches

Hello,

I'm replacing my 3-way switches in my basement for some Leviton Decora Bluetooth switches (the DDL06 and its companion switch the DD00R). I'm not quite sure how to wire this up. I tried tracing my current wiring and i believe it is wired like this:

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  15.3 KB

Whereas i need to wire it up as described in their instruction sheet. Any suggestions on where i start? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-18, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can help you with that. Your link didn't work and DDL06 is only a partial part number so I wasn't exactly sure which device you are using. Based on your diagram..... where will the main unit go.... left location or right ?

Old 07-31-18, 05:51 AM
Sorry about that, hopefully this link works.
My full model is DDL06 - BLW and the companion is the DD00R-DLZ.

For clarity, i've uploaded my wire drawing here.

I'd assume the main unit should go on left (switch #1).
My thought is that on switch #1, is it that i just pig-tailing from the hot (black) marette into the smart switch.. and having the neutral (white) wire from switch #2 now going into the white marette near switch #1? Aside from this, i think all other wires remain in place.

Last edited by MosesExploses; 07-31-18 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for your patience. I got the info you posted this morning and did the drawing during the day.
I took your diagram and relabeled it with the labels of the new devices. Should be a pretty easy install.

Name:  ddl06.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  wiring_L.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  41.9 KB

There are two wiring changes at the dimmer location. The white wire will now become a neutral to feed the remote dimmer. The black/hot is connected to both devices.

Old 07-31-18, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. i did end up wiring it up as you depicted with those minor adjustments. Unfortunately my lights do not turn (although i can see there is power to both switches).
I even attempted to download the Leviton bluetooth app; although it connected to it via bluetooth, i could not turn the light on. I'm not sure what else i can try to troubleshoot. I did find an instruction sheet for the companion switch here but my switch is not referenced in it. I'm wondering if i even have the right pair of switches?

Old 07-31-18, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
With that type of setup..... I'm pretty sure the dimmer will work even if the slave is bad or not connected.

That will operate as a stand alone dimmer. Temporarily disconnect the YL/RD connection and see if it works now. If it doesn't..... it's defective or wired wrong. Keep in mind.... it does require a proper lighting load to operate properly and it must be grounded.

Name:  spz.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  22.2 KB

Old 08-01-18, 05:11 AM
I'll give this a go tonight to see if i can get at least a single-pole setup to work. I'm actually hoping it doesn't to indicate it is a defective unit as i cannot understand why it didn't work in the 3-way setup with the proper wiring. Will update later. Thanks again.

Old 08-01-18, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
I'm a big fan of devices that require a neutral to operate. If you notice.... your dimmer does not require a neutral. That means it either "steals" a neutral from the ground wire or it requires a certain amount of load to flow thru the device.

These types of "no neutral required" devices can be problematic.

Old 08-01-18, 03:42 PM
Good News first:
I attempted to install with a single switch and that didn't work either. I went and bought another one and tried it and it worked! Must have had a faulty switch!

Bad News:
I am using these Illume lights from Home Depot. When i set the dimmer to anything lower than full brightness, the lights flicker (more so the lower i set the dimming brightness). Also the switch itself makes an audible hum if you put your ear near it (again more so the lower i set the dimming to). These lights state that they are dimmable yet seem to struggle.

Ditch this switch and go with something specific for dimming LED lights?

Old 08-01-18, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
It's going to be experimental. LED's are hard to dim..... it's just a fact of life.

Old 08-01-18, 04:10 PM
I might try some simple analog dimmers this weekend and see how they work out for me.. or possibly some smart ones specifically designed for LEDs. Anyways i appreciate all of your time and help and thanks for solving my issue!