Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Using battery with DC diaphragm pump and AC water heater (Resistance)

Old 08-01-18, 08:11 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey there, I'm a nooby in the electronics world, and would like to know if this is possible. I've bought 2 simple 800W AC resistances for heating water (8 liters in 5 minutes). They litterally consist of the plug to the wall, and some cable connected to the resistance material.

I'd like to pump this water using a 12V DC diaphragm pump running on a battery. Also, I want to run these 2 resistances on the DC battery (even though they run on AC). The two things (resistances and pump) would not be running simultaneously. First, I would heat the water with the resistances, cut the current with the switch, then pump it using the DC pump.

Is this possible?? Also, which battery would be able to do this?

Thank you

Old 08-01-18, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Resistance heaters can work equally well on AC or DC. Your problem is the two elements combined equals 1600 watts or around 135 amps at 12volts. You would need an incredibly large battery bank to do what you want. I'm afraid running your system on batteries is not going to be effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: