Removing baseboard heater and install outlet

Old 08-16-18, 06:28 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing baseboard heater and install outlet

I recently purchased an older house with electric baseboard heaters. In one of the bedrooms, I want to remove the baseboard heater and install a 20 amp electrical outlet.

There are two 20-amp single pole breakers connected together on the electrical panel. The circuit on one of the breakers goes to a baseboard heater in the living room, which I will cap off as I'm not going to use it, and the second circuit goes to the baseboard heater in the bedroom.

There is a thermostat on the circuit that controls the baseboard heater in the bedroom.

Should I remove the thermostat and install a junction box so that there are no interruptions in the circuit, or can I leave the thermostat there and just have it completely turned on to its highest level?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-18, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Two 20A breakers connected together signifies 240v.
Are you sure your baseboard heaters are not 240v ?

Old 08-16-18, 07:32 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes.. The baseboard heaters are 240v. I tested the circuit, and it showed 240v.

I am planning on using a 20-amp, 250v, narrow body duplex, commercial grade receptacle (Leviton 5822-W) .

I want to use this for a 1300 Watt power supply and a 1050 W power supply. I will be using a full load constantly, so won't be going over 80% of the rated voltage for that circuit.

Old 08-16-18, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
Ok..... so you don't have two circuits. You have a 2P20A breaker feeding two 240v baseboard heaters.
You will be capping the one heater off. You will need to disconnect the thermostat and connect the wiring together so as to bypass the thermostat.

2350 watts is only 10A at 240v so you will only be at half the circuit capacity.