Outlets stopped working

Old 08-17-18, 11:38 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outlets stopped working

Hello,

I have been doing some simple changes in my fully sheetrocked detach garage (moving tools around is all so no electrical). All of a sudden one day the outlets along one wall went out. I don't know which breaker turns them on or off and I don't know from the panel how do these outlets get power. These are my questions I am hoping someone can maybe help me identify some clues to figuring this out.

the outlets that went out are on the opposite wall as the panel and appear to be the only ones out. I think there is one breaker (all are unlabled unfortunately) that even though on doesn't seem to do anything. I am assuming this is the one but not completely certain.

Some things I have tried.
1. Did some looking at the outlets and in the 3 boxes that are out I see 2 wires in each so it is possible one of these on either end is the power. I have done some checking in them but no power
2. I went through and checked the breakers only to see which might not be powering anything and I mention that here. I don't however, know where the power goes from the panel

Any ideas or suggestions on how i can possibly find out what happened?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-17-18, 12:17 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
First thing to try is to flip the breaker(s) fully off then back on. Sometimes they are tripped and the handle still looks ON. Next is to look for a GFCI receptacle that is tripped and reset it. It could be in the garage, outside, kitchen, bathroom or basement. Likely behind some piece of furniture you forgot about. Next open up the first non-working or last working outlet on the circuit and inspect for broken/burnt wires connections or devices. The power cable almost always goes in a reasonably straight path from the panel to the outlet devices in a daisy chain configuration. While it's impossible to know for sure, it's a reasonable guess as to what order the outlet boxes are on the circuit. The problem could be at a receptacle, switch or light fixture on the circuit.

Old 08-20-18, 06:06 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ended up figuring it out. It was the circuit that I thought . The issue ended up being that I don't think the circuit was seating correctly on the panel. when I turned it on, pushed it with a little force all of a sudden i heard what sounded like some sparking. I rmeoved it and put it in a different spot on the panel and fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: