Run power to shed

Old 08-20-18, 07:55 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Run power to shed

I have converted my 8 x 10 shed to a chicken coop and need to run electricity to it from the house. I only need to run a light bulb and a small brooder heater. The heater only for about a week.

The shed it only about 30 feet from the house. I was thinking of using an extension cord to the house since it is only going to be for a short time but I need to make it critter proof. I can't just drill a hole in the side of the shed as animals will find a way in and eat the little birds.

Any ideas on the easiest way to get electricity out there for a short time?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-18, 10:50 AM
A
Received 86 Votes on 80 Posts
Install a male receptacle in a weatherproof outlet box on the outside of the shed. Connect it to an ordianry duplex receptacle (or two) on the inside.

When you are using the heaters, lights, etc. plug an extension cord onto the male receptacle and stretch it to an ordinary outdoor receptacle on the side of the house.

Note that if more than 20 amps are needed at the shed then you will need a subpanel and also a master shut off switch inside the shed.

If/when you install a permanent underground electrical feed you will need a master switch inside the shed (if not already) and you must remove the male receptacle. Usually it is shortsighted to install an underground feed for fewer than 40 amps (smaller than 8 gauge) although you can procrastinate on adding a subpanel when the ends inside the main house panel are breakered for 20 amps or less.

Old 08-22-18, 06:41 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great answer. I bought and outdoor male receptacle and will be using it to setup the temp electricity, The only thing on the plug is going to be a small heater running off of a wall wart and only for a week, so it was the perfect solution.

Thanks