California style connector?

Old 08-29-18, 10:16 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
California style connector?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the RV forums, but it seems more electric-specific than RV-specific.

My RV has a standard 110v 30A cable. I'm taking it to a location that doesn't have a straight hookup. They have a 220v 50A "California style" connector. The distance from RV to power is much longer than my cord will reach, so I need to make an extension. I've never heard of a "California style" connector and can't get to the location to see it in person beforehand. Is that anything special I need to worry about? Or can I just use something like this to bring it down to 110?

Old 08-29-18, 10:40 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,639
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
You can't connect a 120v RV to a 220v 50A "California style" connector.
You could possibly adapt to a 120/240v Cal style connector.

I don't know if these are routinely used out in California for RV's. The plug used requires a metal shield. locking power cords/category/31-hubbell-50a-twist-lock.aspx
Old 08-30-18, 06:58 AM
Geochurchi's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,063
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, what is the configuration of the female connection for a Cal. outlet at the campground? I would say it must be 125/250 50 amp receptacle.


Last edited by Geochurchi; 08-30-18 at 07:31 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: