Wires in outlet box too short

Old 09-05-18, 08:57 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wires in outlet box too short

Came across this in an outlet mid-circuit. Two cables in outlet box whites to white, etc. Nothing untoward except for the wires to the actual outlet are rather short (way under 6" requirement). Had to do some repairs to the drywall around that outlet box and thought of addressing the short wires.

My thought is to put the two whites into a connector with a pigtail that will go to the outlet. Same with the two blacks. My concern, only because I don't know enough, is that normally we would put one white on top and the other white on bottom. With this fix, there will only be one white and one black attaching to the outlet. Is that an issue in this scenario? Will it create an issue down the line? Thanks.

Old 09-05-18, 09:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Pigtails are actually the prefered way though it is seldom did that way.

Old 09-05-18, 11:21 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
It's OK. If the wires are very short, the the Wago style push in connectors are very helpful to extend.

Old 09-05-18, 02:33 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
With this fix, there will only be one white and one black attaching to the outlet. Is that an issue in this scenario? Will it create an issue down the line?
Not at all. It is just the outlets are normally used as a splice point to save some extra work and parts.

Old 09-05-18, 06:13 PM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the input all. Worked out fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: