Running electricity out to the barn

Old 09-11-18, 08:12 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running electricity out to the barn

I am in Pasco County, Florida. Our home was built in 2006. We would like to run electricity out to our two barns and also to a gazebo nearby. The outlets in the barns will be used for general lighting, a few box type fans, brooder lamps to warm chicks and goat kids, and possibly a small window A/C unit for the work room. The gazebo would have lighting and water pumps for the pond fountain and filter. Many years ago while installing irrigation pipes I also ran pvc conduit out to the area of the bars and gazebo. In the past I have used an existing outdoor outlet as a source for a garden outlet for an irrigation timer. This project is a bit more involved and I was unsure if I would need to run three separate electrical lines and will it need to be wired into the breaker box. The first barn is about 250 ft from the house. The second barn is small and about 350 ft from the house. The gazebo is about 400 ft from the house. The first barn would be the only one to have need of A/C and brooder lights. There is another outdoor outlet but this project is very different from the last. I am in the very early planning stage and I would like to know what would be the best way to accomplish all of these different needs. I would also like a little guidance in wiring selection as it is a long distance from the house.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-18, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What size PVC pipe did you previously run to the areas in question ?

Old 09-12-18, 12:41 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
In addition to Pete's question, what is the voltage and approximate size of the pump(s) in horsepower or watts?

Old 09-13-18, 05:30 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
The first thing I would do is a load analysis for the 3 out buildings. Based on the amps determined, verify the house panel has the capacity (assuming no additional loads required in the house in the future) to provide the amps determined. Each out building should have its own panel with breakers sized according to the loads. The house panel breaker would be the largest amp rating. You don't want to walk back to the house every time the house breaker trips on an out building fault. If the house panel doesn't have the capacity, your options are installing a larger panel in the house or getting power company to run a separate service to one or each out building.