Jacuzzi with no gfci

Old 10-03-18, 03:14 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jacuzzi with no gfci

Hello all, I just purchased a house with a circa 2004 Jacuzzi whirlpool tub. After finding the access hole in the basement ceiling I determined that there is no gfci. The plug/receptacle is 20 amp right next to the motor and connected to the main panel on a dedicated circuit to a 20 amp non gfci breaker. Access is very difficult and I would have to cut a hole in the wall upstairs to change out the outlet or would a gfci breaker be better...cutler hammer. How dangerous is it to leave as is? Codes weren't to stringent back then evidently...help would be appreciated....also my main breaker wouldn't turn off until I yanked it up and down hard about 20 times what's that all about? This house is weird

Old 10-03-18, 04:30 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Installing GFCI breaker is fine. Is it dedicated circuit? If the Jacuzzi has heater, it probably will require a dedicated circuit.
GFCI was required even in 2004. That probably was never inspected.

Worst case scenario without GFCI protection is death by electrocution. Chance of that happening is probably low, but the the consequence can be deadly.

Requiring switching the breaker on/off several times to turn off is not normal. Any water damage?
It will be the best to change it, but if it is the main breaker it won't be easy. You should hire a electrician for this task. Or at least have power company come out and pull the meter (cut power), then put back after you replace the main breaker.

Old 10-03-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You wouldn't by chance have a dead front GFI in the bathroom..... would you ?
That's how I wired most of my spa installs.

Name:  df.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  4.0 KB

Old 10-03-18, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You wouldn't by chance have a dead front GFI in the bathroom..... would you ?
The dead front GFCI might also be in a nearby closet.

If not, A GFCI breaker is the best option as it also would comply with the readily accessible NEC requirement for GFCI devices.

Old 10-03-18, 06:52 PM
H
No heater and no gfci anywhere i can find that stops the pump...thanx much for the info

Old 10-03-18, 06:56 PM
H
I have looked and tried all the gfis to stop the pump...no joy thanx for helping looks like i should call an electrician

Old 10-03-18, 06:59 PM
H
you folks are the bomb...thanks a lot there is a number of hokey crap in the house and some is over my head/skill level...kudos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: