new garage wiring question....

Old 10-08-18, 10:34 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new garage wiring question....

Im thinking of updating my detached garage wiring.

I need a simple setup, no subpanel needed. I was going to run a MWBC from the house to the garage. Power gfci outlets from one side and lighting and garage door opener from the other. I was also going to run a separate ground wire as this will be buried in PVC. I would have a double pole disconnect switch in the garage.

However, as it stands now, there is a 3 way switch in garage that turns a light on from house and the garage. It is run in the same conduit with the current feeders to the garage and is spliced in the main panel.

Is it wrong to run the 3 way switch into the garage with the new MWBC in this manner?

Old 10-08-18, 10:37 AM
R
I should have added, that 3 way switch is on a different circuit than the garage.

Old 10-08-18, 02:23 PM
R
Change of plans , Its a code violation 225.30 ...

Old 10-08-18, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You should have kept reading 225.30. 225.30(D) allows you to have additional branch circuits or feeders for controlling outside lighting.

Old 10-21-18, 06:41 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
I'm a little confused as to what you currently have providing power to the garage and what you are planning to add/replace. Bottom line is you are to only have one power source suppling the garage (one feeder) which will be the MWBC. A switch loop can be run back to the house for controlling lights in or on the garage but the switch loop must get its power from the garage, it is not to be separately powered from the house which would then create two power sources from the house to the garage.

Last edited by pattenp; 10-21-18 at 07:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: