100 Watt Solar Panel, Box Trailer - Which Battery?

Old 10-08-18, 07:06 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
100 Watt Solar Panel, Box Trailer - Which Battery?

This will be my second solar project. I put a 30W panel and 12V18Ah battery in a shed 3 years ago and that has worked perfect.

Now, I'm running lights and an exhaust fan in a cargo trailer, and am putting together a solar kit. The theme is camping. I'd also like to be able to plug some AC fans in from time to time as well for those days that end up being wicked hot. I can answer more questions about the usage if necessary.

Currently I have selected a 12V 35Ah Sealed Lead Acid battery.
I'm also curious about deep cycle batteries like at Auto Zone.

I realize (am fairly certain, at least) the amp-hour calculations are different for the different battery types, as the deep cycle battery is rated at 20Ah @ 105 Amps.

Does anyone know if the full size deep cycle batteries (such as listed below) would provide 2x the run time for low-ish power things like fans and LED lights?

The 12 V 35Ah for ~ $65:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...QLQV58WQ&psc=1

AutoZone Deep Cycle is $110 which includes a core charge: https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...ery/315062_0_0

Old 10-09-18, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Whichever way you go a deep cycle battery will likely be better for your application. Mainly it would allow you to drain the batter down (consume more of it's stored energy) without damaging the battery. The marine battery you linked is not a deep cycle. It's just a "marine" starting battery, rather similar to a regular car battery.

Old 10-09-18, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I'd also like to be able to plug some AC fans in from time to time
Then at the very least you'll need a full sized battery to run an inverter to make the A/C.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: