UF Wire splice simple approach

Old 10-18-18, 08:06 AM
T
Received 84 Likes on 75 Posts
UF Wire splice simple approach

We have an existing set of driveway lights one of which was damaged (by a truck) beyond repair. We've decided to remove the light as we can't match it properly and it's not needed. I'd like to simply connect the line and protect the connection from the elements.

It appears that a shrink fit splice kit may be required but that requires a heat gun which I don't have or want. An alternative involves a gel splice kit costing around $30. I'm hoping someone has an acceptable simple and less expensive solution. For example, can I use a piece of conduit tubing or perhaps a junction box?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Old 10-18-18, 08:48 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Those are the only two I know of. The hardware store might rent a paint stripping gun which would work for heat shrink tubing. If you're really careful you can use a lighter or small torch, but that's not the "right" way. If you use a junction box it can't be buried - it would need to be mounted to a post of some sort. All of this is to protect the life of the wire. If water wicks into the insulation it will corrode the whole length requiring complete replacement. If water wicks into the splice it will corrode it and the wire will burn through.

Last edited by ibpooks; 10-18-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 07:27 PM
Q
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Splice kit works with lighters (at a distance so you don;t burn it), you could also put liquid tape over it after that to be sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: