Addition Ceiling Fan Wiring

Old 10-31-18, 03:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Addition Ceiling Fan Wiring

I am adding on to my home and have a 20A (12/2) cable coming to the fixture (in this case a ceiling fan with light kit). I want to install two 3-way switches (I've installed 12/3 wires FROM the fixture TO each of the switches). We will use a remote to control the fan so the intent of the switches is just to be able to switch the whole works on or off from either the wall or the bed. I want to add two wall sconces to the power circuit and have run 12/2 cables to them. What I'm not sure of is where to connect the black and white FROM the sconces TO the Fan wiring. A detail drawing would be great of this circuitry.
Thanks,

Old 10-31-18, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First things first..... for this type of circuiting..... use #14 wire. Saves money and a ton of room in crowded junction boxes. With #12 everywhere..... your fan box will become overfilled with wire.

Since you have run an xx-3 cable from each switch to the fan box...... the sconce lights need to connect at the fan. Consider carefully as this doesn't sound like an ideal setup to me. What if you want the fan on when in bed.... that would mean the sconce lights would need to be on.

Put the sconces on the three way switches and use just the remote for the fan. I have two remotes for my fan. One is on my night table and the other sits in a wall bracket near the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: