Double sided junction box?

Old 11-15-18, 05:56 AM
I
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Double sided junction box?

Hello,

I'm going to be moving soon. In order to run coax and network cables to where I want them (and where they were never installed in this house), I will have to drill a hole in a closet floor to bring the wires up from the basement, then I want to go through the closet wall as on the other side is the living room where I want the cables terminated. It's a 2x4 plastered wall.

I was hoping to just run the wires through the wall continuously and not put ends on them to plug into to traditional wall jacks in the closet, then another set of wall jacks in the living room and then short cables to the entertainment center. I figure the less connections the better the signal quality through the cables.

What is the best way to run the wires through this wall? Is there some sort of double sided box I can put in the wall with maybe a brush wall plate on each side? Or something else?

Old 11-15-18, 06:23 AM
A
Received 244 Likes on 224 Posts
Provided that there is no house current (120 volt ; 240 volt) wiring going through the same opening, you can use low voltage boxes some of which that are just what you want. Usually they are orange colored.

Don't forget, the coax, etc. cables must be rated for in-wall installation in terms of fire resistance.

Old 11-15-18, 06:40 AM
J
Received 472 Likes on 390 Posts
Why don't you drill the hole up from the basement into the wall instead of into the closet floor.

Old 11-15-18, 10:56 AM
I
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks AllanJ, I'll look into those.

joed - due to lack of access below in the basement, I have to drill down from the closet, then feed a wire down to the basement and grab it with a hook. Unfortunately no clearance in the basement to drill up directly under and into the wall.

Old 11-15-18, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
You can easily use low voltage rings with the brush plate.
They are both available at most home improvement stores.

Name:  brush plate.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  9.1 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: