Deep Cycle Battery life

Old 11-30-18, 06:16 PM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Deep Cycle Battery life

Sorry if this should be in the other forums about the sump pumps....but the Questions are only about the back up battery:

So 4 yrs ago I got a nice Duracell unit and it was hooked up to the Zoeller backup / charger unit.... Yesterday I just took the Volt meter and checked it and got measurement of 4.8V...so I figured the battery died for some reason.
Took it to the BatteryPlus store and while picking up a new battery I started to talk to the clerk there but he said a lot of things that didn't make sense.... like I shouldn't be using those chargers all the time ...I should allow to run the sump pump off of the battery at least 3-4 times a year.... should charge it once a month....

Confused me as the instruction on the Zoeller clearly say this is special charger / controller that is design to be hooked up to the battery all the time.

In the last 4 yrs I didn't lose power so in fact the battery never had to work....so to speak....but still.
What should I be doing to make sure this new battery doesn't crap out on me in 3-4 yrs.... I think they should be good for 5+ yrs.

thanks!

Old 11-30-18, 08:02 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The proper battery charger/maintainer can be left on the battery at all times. Four years is a bit short but not bad. We used to change out our UPS batteries in the computer center about every 5 years.

It is a good idea to test the battery every once in while to be sure it will function in the time of need.

Old 12-01-18, 04:30 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, what type of battery did you purchase? Is the battery mounted off the floor ie. Not sitting on concrete.
Geo

Old 12-01-18, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Older style battery's leaked a little acid and when on concrete they would discharge. Newer battery's don't have this problem but I always set battery's on a piece of wood. A maintenance charger can be left on all the time. Make sure it says can be connected all the time.

Old 12-01-18, 09:23 AM
P
the previous battery wasn't old....I mean 4 yrs now but bought it new....and it was also Duracell Deep Cycle marine - it was the classical / serviceable.
Now I bought a more expensive unit; also Duracell but Ultra Platinum AGM type.....

I follow the instructions and also keep it up off the floor on wooden stand.
I really think the clerk at the store was just talking nonsense.....The only comments that I'd agree with is the fact that maybe from time to time I should run the sump pump off of the battery - not just good for the battery but also to make sure everything works - including the backup pump.

Old 12-02-18, 09:20 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Older style battery's leaked a little acid and when on concrete they would discharge.
Old wives tale. Batteries on concrete will not discharge any faster than on anything else. If they did leak they will damage the concrete however.

Old 12-02-18, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The instructions that come with the Wayne sump pump backup instruct you to inspect the terminal and clean and tighten as needed... check the specific gravity of the battery acid monthly with a hydrometer. Here are their instructions, which I would assume would apply to any battery that has serviceable cells.

For batteries with top caps that can be removed, the electrolyte level should be checked and filled to manufacturer's specifications. The charge for each cell should be checked with a hydrometer. A gravity of 1.265 indicates the battery is at full charge. If the specific gravity of any of the cells varies more than .050, the battery should be replaced.

Other sources suggest 1.270 as a fully charged specific gravity.

You could also google "testing your battery for sulfation" or "Sulfation: what is it and how to avoid it?" to get some tips on using a hydrometer and on testing and prolonging battery life.

Last edited by XSleeper; 12-02-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-02-18, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Post the model# of the battery charger. Some are just trickle chargers and do not maintain batts very well.

A charger that hits the batt with 14.8 volts occasionally is better suited.

Im an RV'er and use deep cyclebatts on my camper. They are close to 10 years old and still kicking.

Old 12-04-18, 06:14 PM
P
It's Zoeller Sentry I model 507

Old 12-04-18, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Looks like just a 10 amp charger. Ill try to find more specs on it..

https://www.zoellerpumps.com/content...311_009132.pdf

Looks like they call for a 105 amp grp 27 battery..

If your prone to floods I would maybe go with 2 - 6 volters for 230ah.. can probably run 20 hrs on them.

But with whatever batt you get IMO get a better charger.

This is the algorithm I have on my RV. Although I wish the first one was 14.8 which is ideal. But we dont live in a perfect world..

BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts – Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.
NORMAL Mode 13.6 Volts – Safely completes the charge.
STORAGE Mode 13.2 Volts – Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.
EQUALIZATION Mode 14.4 Volts – Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes prevents battery stratification & sulfation – the leading cause of battery failure.

Old 12-21-18, 07:31 AM
P
appreciate all insights.... I have a new battery now and want to ensure it lasts solid 4-5 yrs....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: