2 gang smart box flexes too much

Old 12-01-18, 02:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 gang smart box flexes too much

Does anyone else have a problem when you install an old work Madison SmartBox (in my case it's 2 gang), and it flexes as you unplug devices from it on the far end from where it's secured to the stud with screws? I installed one of these in a bathroom and whenever we unplug things, you can see the electrical cover come out about 1/8 inch from the wall. I took the cover off and it's the whole box that is moving, but it doesn't move on the side where it's attached to the stud.

Does any one have any tricks to stabilize it?

Old 12-01-18, 10:42 PM
J
If I install 2 or 3 gang boxes, I typically frame around them inside stud bay to give them extra support. Sometimes it's not necessary and a good check is to install the box, then wiggle it back in forth by hand, if there is movement, it'll be similar to that once drywall and cover is put on. If its moving to much, time to add some framing within studs to secure it too.

Old 12-01-18, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Usually two gang boxes are fairly stable. It's the three gang and up ones that are normally flimsy.

You can add a Madison bar to your box on the side that pulls out. The following video shows adding two bars.... one to each side of the box. You will only need one on the side that pulls out. Be sure to turn power off when installing.

Using Madison bars

Old 12-02-18, 08:41 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Looks to me like in the You Tube video the guy installed the madison bar supports upside down.

Old 12-02-18, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Why...... yes he did. The large leg points upwards.

Old 12-03-18, 07:28 AM
S
Originally Posted by PJmax
Usually two gang boxes are fairly stable. It's the three gang and up ones that are normally flimsy.

You can add a Madison bar to your box on the side that pulls out. The following video shows adding two bars.... one to each side of the box. You will only need one on the side that pulls out. Be sure to turn power off when installing.

Using Madison bars
Thanks for the tips, everybody!

For these Madison bars, are they generally available at the big box home improvement stores? Do they work well?

Update: I did find them at Home Depot going by a different name: Raco Switch Box Old Work Supports (2-Pack).

Old 12-03-18, 08:43 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I did find them at Home Depot going by a different name: Raco Switch Box Old Work Supports (2-Pack).

You may also find a few old timers who still call them "2 Men in a Boat".

Old 12-11-18, 02:53 PM
S
Originally Posted by PJmax

Using Madison bars
Thanks again for the advice. I tried your suggestion and now the outlet box is rock solid! Great idea you had, and I didn't even know they made such a think. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: