spa help

Old 01-09-19, 09:39 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spa help

Hi there. Newbie here. Glad to have found this forum. I have a 14 yr old Strong spa, a small octagonal shaped one. I recently moved it from one house to another. Not sure that has anything to do with the problem I'm now having with it. Prior to moving it, it was inactive for about a year. Once I had an electrician put in the proper outlet for it I filled it I proceeded to try & get it going. First problem was something fried in the GFI plug, which was original to the spa. It had been tripping off way too easily when it was last in operation anyway. I mean sneezing might cause it to trip, it was bad. So I put a new GFI plug & power cord on. Then I kept getting a flow error code. Checked all the usual things like the filter, obstruction in jets, air pockets, etc. I replaced the pressure switch. Still got a flow error code. Adjusted the switch. No difference. Checked the wiring on the pump & found the terminal plate the wires were attached to was disintegrating & at that point decided the pump, which I had replaced over 10 yrs ago, should be replaced. It was not coming on even though there was power at the terminals. So I reasoned that the motor was probably seized up & was causing the flow error code. Got a new pump & put it in. Still getting a flow error code & the new pump does not come on even though I measure 115 volts at the terminals. So at this point I'm mystified. How is it possible that the pump is getting power but won't run? And, yes, it's designed for a 115V pump, not 230. It's possible something may have been damaged in the control box when the the plug fried but that doesn't explain why the pump won't run. I'd rather not spend $400 on a control box if there's something simple wrong that I'm overlooking. Hoping someone here can shed some light on this.

Old 01-09-19, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When checking for voltage AT the motor..... a meter must be used to check from the black/hot wire to the neutral/white wire. Power cannot be checked to ground.

Old 01-09-19, 12:32 PM
O
Thanks. So you're saying the pump MAY be getting incorrect voltage & the way to determine that is the way you describe? I'll give it a try & report what it says.

Old 01-09-19, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Just checking for hot, like with a non contact tester, does not check the neutral which may be open in your case.

Old 01-09-19, 02:42 PM
O
I'm a plumber by trade. Electrical stuff does confuse me sometimes. OK, when I check it to ground I get 110v on both terminals, both low & high speed. But when I check them both to the neutral I get no voltage at all.

Old 01-09-19, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
It's possible your board switches both hot and neutral. This could be found on a 120/240v spa that may have been converted to 120v. Post the part number off the control board or even a picture or two of it...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-09-19, 11:46 PM
C
and its possible that you have sufficient current capacity to run a volt meter but not enough to run the motor...usually caused by corroded wires somewhere in the system, seen it mostly with the corrosion from aluminum wire.....tip off is if the voltage drops to zip when the motor is switched on. At any rate, from the GFCI problems etc. I would highly recommend a qualified electrician get involved in this, even if its just for a dip and a beer....remember a gal they pulled out of a tank at a swimming pool....seems she fell in after being electrocuted from a 'git r dun' GFCI installation.

Old 01-11-19, 12:36 PM
O
Thanks for the word of caution, Cloudy. This gave me pause. I certainly don't want to create an electrical hazard that could hurt someone. I'm starting to think that when the GFI plug fried it may have shorted something in the circuit board of the control box. I've looked at replacements but they seem to all be 15" between the couplings. Mine is 12". So it would require some tricky re-piping in a very tight spot. I'm considering sending the board to A1 Controls out CA to see if they can find the problem. Anyone here have any experience with them? If it can be fixed it would a much simpler & cost effective solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: