12 volt Dc winch motor issue

Old 01-13-19, 06:17 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
12 volt Dc winch motor issue

Hello,

My super winch lt3000 on my ATV has recently just stopped working. It wasnt in use when it quit. Last time I pulled myself out it worked fine, was sitting in storage for a month or so and just quit working. I'm new to all of this but have some idea what I'm doing. After hauling the winch motor out it seems as if water has gotten in somewhere and caused some corrosion on the (armature? Maybe) and the brushes were stuck in their slots. When I removed the brushes to clean them up I discovered that one of the brushes has corroded from the lug.

I'm working on getting a new brush kit. But wondering if the surface rust on the (armature?) Will make a difference and if so how can I go about cleaning it up.

Thanks for any help

(will try to get some pictures posted)

Joel

Old 01-13-19, 07:11 AM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
A little surface rust will not cause problem, but if the rust is thick and catches on stator, that will cause problem.
Only good way to clean them is by disassembling and clean it with wire brush or sand paper.
If it is stuck, WD-40 will help.

Old 01-13-19, 12:42 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GOOD chance you will do more harm than good if you try to remove the surface rust on the armature. As Lambition says, it doesn't hurt anything so long as it isn't rubbing on stator...and IF it IS that bad, chances are you have more problems. Might suggest the new brushes after cleaning and smoothing the inside of the brush holders. Be sure brush springs are good and not 'pinching' the brush. Would not use WD40 on a wound armature..and keep it out of the bearings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: