Installing smart switches

Old 01-17-19, 09:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing smart switches

I purchased two smart light switches (TP-LINK HS200) and wanted to install one in our kitchen to control a fluorescent light, and the other in the bathroom to control the vanity light. The TP-LINK switches have 4 wires, neutral, live, load, and ground. Per TP-LINK the switch can be installed without a ground but requires a neutral wire.

The issue I have is understanding how the fixture is wired and how that relates to the neutral wire. I was wondering if anyone could give me some input?

I have attached pictures of how they are wired (colors are correct except the grey wire is white). They are both double gang boxes.

My plan is to switch the dual switch in the bathroom to have it control the ceiling light and ventilation fan.

Thank you.

Attached Images   
Old 01-17-19, 09:24 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
What's the orange wire? Is this a conduit system? If it is then the orange is your line. The bathroom two reds and black are the loads. The kitchen two reds are the loads.

Old 01-17-19, 09:43 AM
T
I believe it's a live wire. I don't know what's in the walls but I'm assuming it's just Romex.

Old 01-17-19, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Post some pictures of the wiring in the switch boxes where you want to install the smart switches.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-17-19, 11:04 AM
T
I'll have take pictures a little later when I can kill the power for a bit.

Presumably the white wires are neutral. Can I install the smart switch to a neutral wire or does it have to be a specific one?

I understand with a standard switch, the switch just controls when power flows through the load wires. I know the smart switch requires a neutral so it can constantly have power regardless of the light being on. I just don't know if the smart switch requires a particular neutral or just one in general.

Thank you

Old 01-17-19, 11:46 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Romex does not contain orange wires. Are the wires actually orange?
If the wires are coming out of pipes then you have a conduit system. No problem with that.

Presumably the white wires are neutral. Can I install the smart switch to a neutral wire or does it have to be a specific one?
Yes the white wires are neutrals. You should find all the whites connected together in the switch boxes. Just add your smart switch neutral to the bundle.

Old 01-17-19, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes..... the smart switch requires the neutral of the circuit it's operating on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: