Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I get power from lamp post to run 2 light bulbs in the shed

Old 01-18-19, 12:59 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The lamp post is right next to the shed, about 1 foot. Is it OK for me to get power from the lamp post to run 2 light bulbs (60W). The lamp post is controlled by a switch in the adjacent garage and I don't mind that I will have to turn on the lamp post first every time I want to turn on the light bulbs in the shed.
Thank for your advice.

Name:  lp1.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  lp2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  190.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-18-19 at 01:02 PM. Reason: cropped/resized/reoriented pics
Old 01-18-19, 01:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Is there any electrical running to that shed now?

Old 01-18-19, 01:11 AM
M
There is electrical power to the lamp post. The switch to turn on/off the lamp post is from the adjacent garage. I wonder if i can somehow extend the wire from the lamp post to the interior of the shed to power 2 light bulbs.

Old 01-18-19, 05:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Coming from the garage might be better. To come from the light you will need a suitable junction box at the light. You might want to add a weather proof junction box on the light post. Bring the existing feed to the light into it and branch off to the light and underground to the shed. If you install a GFCI device in the junction box or if the feed is already GFCI protected the cable to the shed would only need to be one foot deep.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-18-19 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 05:33 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Can you run a new cable from the lamp socket up top down through the post to about 2 feet above ground where you mount an outlet box? Put a receptacle there and use extension cords.

Alternatively use UF cable for this added branch. Near ground level it emerges from the post to go into a U shaped conduit going underground 1-1/2 feet deep for the one foot route to the garage, then up and into the garage.

If two wires want to go under one screw, say in the lamp socket, cut a short length of wire of the same color (here called a pigtail) and attach that to the screw terminal. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the two wire ends in question.

Old 01-18-19, 05:40 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
There is no reason you can't get power from the post. Use the correct outdoor cable. Bury it deep enough and make the connection in a junction box on/in the post.

Old 01-18-19, 03:05 PM
M
Thank you very much for all of your replies. I am happy to know that I can get power from the lamp post rather than have to run a new circuit to the main breaker panel about 100 ft away or extend wire from the garage about 25 ft away. It would be labor and time consuming to run wire outdoor such a long distance. From your replies it seems I have several options. I will probably install a weather proof junction box on the post near the ground, bring the existing feed to the light into the box then branch off to the light and underground (18 inch deep) to the shed. It’s very cold here now. I will keep you posted when weather permits.! appreciate all of your help/advice.

Old 01-18-19, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Depending on how that pole is set.... like into concrete.... you may not have access to the wire below ground. You can remove the head from the top of the pole and wire thru the pole to a box mounted on the side of it.

Old 01-21-19, 05:27 AM
M
Thank you for your advice Pjmax. BTW, is there a way I can check to see if the feed to the lamp post is already GFCI so that I wont have to install a GFCI device in the junction box? Thanks.

Old 01-21-19, 06:30 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
To determine if the circuit is GFCI protected check in your service panel and see if there are any GFCI breakers installed,also check around the property for other GFCI receptacles that may control the light, unlikely.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: