does a wifi outlet like this exist

Old 01-22-19, 08:12 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
does a wifi outlet like this exist

i have a petzi pet cam and when i was away it seemed to have a bad video and i wanted to reboot but there's no way to do that remotely. my pet sitter doesnt come there every day. so i was wondering if there's a wifi outlet or even a device i can plug into the outlet, that i can use remotely to turn off and on something thats plugged in. when my sitter unplugged and plugged in the cam it was fine. but i want to be able to do this remotely.

catch is, i dont wanna buy any other devices to make this work. just the existing router i have now.

does such a thing exist?

i do not want alexa or other snoops in my house..well except the pet cam.

Old 01-22-19, 08:25 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, this device may work for your application.
https://www.amazon.com/Control-Elect.../dp/B073RFQZYK
Geo

Old 01-22-19, 05:17 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I bought some of these for Xmas lights and they worked pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-24-19, 07:47 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I use tp-link's products and Kasa app throughout my home. The apps for some of the off-brand switches are klugy and may contain spyware.

Here's tp-link's smart switch:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Occupies-HS105-Wall-Light-Electronic-Component-switches/dp/B01K1JVZOE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548344603&sr=8-5&keywords=kasa+switch]TP-Link Swithced Outlet

Old 01-24-19, 10:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have used those smart plugs with my amazon alexa and they work great, can also control them from my phone. Not too terrible to connect to wiifi

Old 01-30-19, 08:23 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
so when it says no hub required, but then says works with alexa etc, does that mean i need another device or the only device i need to control is my smart phone. i have no other electronics like alexa etc.

note for 1st recommendation. review says app no longer in USA

Old 01-30-19, 10:20 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
When a device states no Hub needed - that is what you probably want. A hub is used as an intermediate device that some require (I have a couple bulbs that need the Hub - Philips Hue)

There is a phone App that has primary control of the device, and is really all you need. Most apps also have the ability to talk with Alexa or Google - but you don't really need them to control the device.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: