Wiring With Lath and Plaster

Old 01-26-19, 02:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring With Lath and Plaster

So I have a older home I just bought that has older 2 conductor wiring without a ground (not knob and tube), I want to slowly upgrade the wiring with 12/2, I have attic and basement access, but wanted to know what the best way to fish wires between outlets in a room. do I just fish 2 wires through the top plate to connect the outlets? junction box? or is there other options

Old 01-26-19, 02:32 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
That's the basic idea, run the cable to the first box, then another back down, and up to the next box, etc. Generally the best option is to cut out the old box, so you have a hand hole to fish the new wires. Then use new (larger) boxes for the new receptacles.

Note that you need to reevaluate placement of your receptacles and bring the spacing up to code (6/12 rule). Don't just replace the old ones with new ones - as long as you're doing all this work, make sure you have enough receptacles where you need them!

Old 01-26-19, 03:12 PM
C
Thanks for the fast response, I just didn't want to tear down perfectly good plaster unnecessarily that'd be a mess.and pricey. I hadn't even thought of adding extra, but I definitely will to bring it up to current code for older home rewires. I'll be starting with the most used circuits like heater, and kitchen because most of the house is run on very few breakers. At least I'll have plenty of room once I get the panel and service line upgraded. Thanks again!!

Old 01-26-19, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Just adding food for thought..... based on the age of the home and by the probable lack of insulation..... this can be the perfect time to rewire and re-insult outside walls if you have the time and budget,

Old 01-26-19, 08:38 PM
C
Budget would be the issue, it's my first house and just my income, but I appreciate the input

Old 01-26-19, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Understand about just one income, but that means there is no help to pay for larger heating and cooling bills also. If insulated there will be payback with lower bills.

Old 01-27-19, 05:03 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Wood lath can be a bit of a challenge, if you are cutting in old work boxes, try to remove one middle lath and 1/2 of the top and bottom pieces, a total of 3 pieces of lath are involved.
Do you have an Ocillating cutting tool, probably better than a keyhole saw.
Geo

Old 01-27-19, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Buildup of excess plaster at the sill plate can be an issue with wood or metal lath, but worse with metal.

Old 01-27-19, 08:10 AM
C
Are you saying to leave half the top and bottom lath for the toggles to have better support?

For the most part I will be going through the top plates except where outlets end up under a window which in that case I won't know what's in there until I try unfortunately, good insight though I'll try to take pictures and post somewhere on the site to help anyone else through any issues I run into

Old 01-27-19, 08:37 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Anything under a window maybe best accssed from the basement.
Picture 3 pieces of lath, remove the center one and leave 1/2 of the bottom and top, this will support your box, in years past before plastic boxes metal OW boxes were secured to the top and bottom laths with #4 wood screws, maybe I am showing my age.
Geo

Old 01-27-19, 09:59 AM
C
I see so I could use screw holes instead of relying on the screw in toggles, I will definitely give that a try I hadn't even thought of that

Old 01-27-19, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
old work boxes were secured to the top and bottom laths with #4 wood screws, maybe I am showing my age.
Nope.... I still fasten that way today.
Typically the wings on plastic boxes don't go back far enough to clear the lath.

Old 01-27-19, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Turn the wings backwards to get to the back of the lath.

It is hard to know the levels of the wood laths since they are buried under the plaster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: