Light switch issues

Old 01-27-19, 06:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light switch issues

Hi there
I recently removed a outdoor motion sensor light to a normal light fixture. The motion sensor light I believe was working at the time I removed it. So when I installed the new light fixture it does not light up. The weird thing that is happening is when I don’t have the light fixture hooked up and turn on the light switch the black is HOT and white is neutral. When I hookup the light fixture and turn on the switch, the black is HOT and the white goes HOT as well. I’ve tried another light fixture to see if that one was defected but same thing happens. I also tried putting back the motion sensor and it’s doing the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks it would greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-19, 06:59 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Sounds like you have a open neutral. Did you test voltage between hot and neutral with a multimeter or did you just use non-contact tester?
Check neutral connection at the light fixture and at the switch.

Old 01-28-19, 01:16 AM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
May not be the switch

The motion lights I have connected have 3 wires, feed the sensor hot from the switch, a neutral and a switch leg from the sensor to the light bulb. With all the stuff sold on Amazon and else where a lot of it is not connected to any North American standard. I bought some leds and the green wire was the switch leg the yellow was hot and black was neutral. A lot of the stuff is not UL or CSA or ETL tested. I require at least one of these before I purchase. Not at all interested if it passes any EU or other standard.
I suggest that you use a VOM meter, (volt ohm meter) and check for continuity on the wires on the fixture. Then carefully test the wires you removed from the fixture. It is possible that on removal you loosened a connection inside the box.

Old 01-28-19, 06:12 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes I did use one of those Klein voltage testers. I’m not using the motion sensor light, just a normal outdoor light fixture. I have tried of few fixtures and seems to do the same thing which is once I turn the switch onthe black and white go HOT. When there is no light fixture hooked up and I turn light switch on it’s normal. The black goes HOT and white is neutral. I’ve checked for kinks in on the black and white wires that come out of the outdoor junction box. I guess I’m going to have to get a volt meter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: