Replace 3 way switch with 3-way switch/receptacle combo

Old 02-10-19, 11:41 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace 3 way switch with 3-way switch/receptacle combo

Hello,

Looking to solve two issues with this existing switch.

1. I just realized the switch is completely exposed on the side. The actual box is buried a couple inches back. The switch itself and the face plate are screwed to this 2x6 that surrounds our garage door and where the garage door rails are screwed to.
I assume a box extender would fix this. Do they come in different depths?

2. Main upgrade - convert this 3-way switch to a 3-way switch combo.
I’ve found one online at Amazon. See picture. I’ve provided a photo of the existing wiring setup.

How would I hook up the new combo switch so the plug is always powered and the 3-way switch still works?

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 02-10-19, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Box extenders depth will vary between manufactures. Most cases they will come one length and you need to trim them shorter as needed. In your case you might need a complete single gang handy box extension. (google handy box extension)

While that device will work it does not provide the GFCI protection that is required in a garage.

How would I hook up the new combo switch so the plug is always powered and the 3-way switch still works?
That will only work if the existing 3 way is on the hot side of the 3 ways and not the switch leg side. To check this you need to use a tester and you should have power on the common wire (dark color screw on the 3 way) no matter what position the switches are in.

Old 02-10-19, 12:04 PM
Z
Yes, I should have thought of that.

If there is constant power on the common screw, I assume that wire would go to the common black screws on the new combo switch? And then the travelers go to the two gold screws?

I just found a Leviton video, and they also hook up the white wires to the silver screws? Would that be needed? Why or why not?

Thanks....I’ve changed a lot of receptacles, ceiling fans, switches but once 3 ways get involved, I’m lost and can never remember things.

Old 02-10-19, 12:38 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The white are needed for the receptacle to work. Also the ground should be connected to the device.

Old 02-10-19, 12:47 PM
Z
What’s the proper way to attach the two whites to the one silver screw? A small pigtail? I assume you should never squeeze two wires under one screw? I’ve never done that.

Old 02-10-19, 12:52 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Pigtail is good. Some screws with capture plates can accept two wires.

Old 02-10-19, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I assume you should never squeeze two wires under one screw?
Correct. Only one wire is allowed under one screw. Adding a pigtail in the best option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: