Electrical rough in for kitchen island

Old 02-13-19, 07:53 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Electrical rough in for kitchen island

I'm wondering how to do the rough in for a kitchen island. The kitchen floor will eventually have tile and I won't be able to access from underneath after the tile is installed. Because it's an island, no walls can be used to house junction boxes.
the floor joists run across so no easy possibility to drill through them after either.
So, do I put some wires through a pre made hole in subfloor and then tile around thesm so they are ready to connect? Island will have a dishwasher and some receptacles.

Or run black conduit to underneath the imaginary island and pull thhn through at a later date?

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 02-13-19 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-19, 08:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
For an island rough in, I install a conduit under the subfloor that stubs up about 12" through the floor where the island will be. The other end of the conduit I run to a junction box behind the fridge or range that will be accessible but not easily visible. Once the finish flooring and cabinet bases are installed, you can terminate the conduit stub to a junction box in the bottom/back of the one of the cabinets in the island and pull wires.

Old 02-14-19, 05:29 PM
Q
A stub right in the middle of the island or to one side? Difficult to know exactly where it will be. Obviously I can get close with measures but not like having the finished item there.
why the junction box behind the fridge and not just directly to the panel?

Old 02-15-19, 06:51 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The stub should come up into the back of the base cabinets of the island so you can mount the j-box deep inside the base cabinet after it is installed. The cabinet installer will have to hole saw into the cabinet bottom to set it over the conduit stub. Of course this plan varies if the island is framed out or built in place instead of being made from ganged base cabinets.

Where you terminate the conduit depends on how many circuits you plan to pull to the kitchen. It can go all the way to the panel or to one of the kitchen walls and tie in to the small appliance branch circuit that feeds that wall.

Old 02-16-19, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
I normally would just run cables to the island for the circuits I need. Leave a large loop so that when it is time to set the island you have enough cable to get where to need to terminate the cables. You can run the cables in the toe kick of the island but will likely need junction boxes installed in the cabinets. Remember to protect NM cables from damage by sleeving them in FMC.

Old 02-17-19, 05:13 AM
Q
Can you run a full nm cable in the FMC or should it be the thhn wires only?

Old 02-17-19, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Yes. You can use FMC (or any other raceway) as a means to protect NM cable from damage. It just needs to be large enough fo rthe size of the cable(s) installed in it. Typically I will use 1/2" for one cable and 3/4" for two. The protection is only required where the cable might get damaged, such as open shelves where pots and pans are stored. If the cable is secured where it will likely not get damaged, no protection is required.

Whatever raceway you install be sure to install a connector or bushing on the end of the raceway.