Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring a Whirlpool Combo Wall Oven – 8/4 AWG armored whip is too short

Old 02-16-19, 01:30 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Just purchased a Kitchen-Aid combo wall oven, model #KOCE507EBS. Comes with a pre-wired 8/4 AWG whip that is only 4′ long. However, it’s about 6-8″ too short, if you have a box located BELOW the oven. It is more than enough length, if box is located in cabinet ABOVE the oven. Installation instruction specifically say if box is BELOW the oven, it should be located a max. of 3″ below base of oven. However, the whip ends don’t even reach the bottom of the oven chassis. This was shipped direct from Kitchen Aid, so I know someone didn’t modify or shorten it. Why would they not extend the wires by 6-12″ so it would accomodate most any wiring arrangement – just doesn’t make sense. Whip runs horizontally across a "step" on back of oven and meant to run down RH side of oven, apparently "up" or "down" RH side.
Romex conduit is clamped to "step" on back of oven, and removing clamp does not really help extend useful length of conduit to RH bottom corner of cabinet. Anyway, the question is, what is the best way to “extend” the whip by 8″ or so? Really should be significantly longer in order to easily slide oven in/out of cabinet.

I looked at various electric distributors/warehouses, and don’t see any 5ft or 6ft armored whips in this wire guage. I really don’t have room between the oven and the back cabinet wall for a junction box (very narrow one). I could obviously buy wire and a roll of armor shielding and create my own to the proper length, but wondering if there was a more ready-made solution. What do other people in the trade do with the Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Jenn-Air ovens that are apparently ALL like this? Looking for some actual assistance and installation assistance, other than the standard answer “call an electrician”. Please let me know how any of you would approach this. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Attached Images     
Old 02-16-19, 01:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the cable to behind the oven runs in an unfinished basement, cut it there, add a J-box, and a longer cable so you can move the kitchen J-box.

Old 02-16-19, 02:11 PM
K
Good idea. However, not a lot of room behind or to the side of oven for a junction box. I would have to move the existing juntion box to the top of the cabinet, or into the cabinet above the oven. It's currently behind and above a storage drawer below the oven, which gives me some space to tuck excess conduit, etc. Would like to leave it there, if possible. . . . but realize might just need to move into above cabinet. Maybe I could sneak a thin pancake box behind or to side of the oven??

Old 02-16-19, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It would be pretty hard to make four splices up in a pancake box.

Old 02-16-19, 03:45 PM
K
That was my original dilemma - didn't think I could find a box thin enough to fit and give me enough room to make 4 connections with 8AWG. Wondered if anyone had any other thoughts or suggestions based on experience or similar installations.

Old 02-16-19, 03:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Why no set the box in the wall. If you come from below you could drill into the wall and set a 2-gang old work box in the wall.

Old 02-17-19, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
location of the box doesn't matter. Cut out the drywall and/or cabinet back behind the oven to make room for a junction box and splice in there.

Old 02-17-19, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I don't usually mount the junction box so I can get the unit out to service it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: