Proper wiring for garbage disposal and dishwasher...

Old 02-25-19, 07:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper wiring for garbage disposal and dishwasher...

So I recently had an issue with my dishwasher randomly shutting off and traced it to a bad connection in the junction box under the sink. Basically all I did was tap on the box and it started working fine again. I let it finish the cycle and then opted to open the box and check the connections.

Inside the box is the wiring for my garbage disposal (on a switch) as well as the dishwasher. I did something dumb and ultimately decided instead of just making sure everything was tight, I had it all apart to put on new wire nuts and to reorganize the mess that was inside. Well I apparently have some wires mixed up because I'm having some issues. Previously when the dishwasher power cut out, the disposal still worked but now I'm losing power to both simultaneously but it isn't tripping the breaker.

I would like to post up how I have it wired as well as I can to double check it's correct (although it must not be given the problem).

So first, I have the white wire from the switch connected to the black wire of the disposal.

Next, I have the blacks together from the dishwasher, the switch, and the hot leg.

Next, I have the whites together from the dishwasher, the disposal, and the hot leg.

Finally, all four grounds are connected together.

Is that not correct? The dishwasher was running and a couple seconds after simultaneously turning on the disposal, they both died but the kitchen light on the same breaker stayed on so they died without tripping the breaker.

I went ahead and flipped the breaker off for a few then turned it back on and started the dishwasher back up and it ran for maybe close to five minutes and died again without me turning on the disposal. I tried flipping the breaker off again and back on after a few minutes but now neither are coming on so hopefully I didn't fry them. Using my non-contact voltage checker, both of them are getting power but not powering on.

Thank you for reading all of this and thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-19, 08:13 PM
R
There are only two wires on the switch but it's for the garbage disposal so I wouldn't think it would need to be connected to the dishwasher, right?

Old 02-25-19, 08:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My reply was wrong. Please disregard it.

Old 02-25-19, 08:21 PM
The white to the switch needs to be connected to the black of the power in and the dishwasher,

The black from the switch to the black of the garbage disposal.

White of power to GD and DW whites.

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-19, 09:27 PM
R
That did it! My dishwasher just finished its cycle without a hitch. Thanks a lot!

Old 02-25-19, 09:57 PM
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.