Odd happenings last night

Old 03-31-19, 06:29 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd happenings last night

I was sitting watching TV with my wife last night, when it seems like the entire house shook briefly for a few seconds, power went out for I would say 2-3 seconds enough time for clocks not battery protected to blink, but not enough time for them to reset to 12:00. I guess maybe the capacitors did not drain fully. IDK but that is not the issue at hand.

House shook, we lost power for 2-3 seconds. I went and checked everything. No circuits were tripped in the breaker, No burning smells. It was a night when we have the least amount of load on anything in the house. First think I thought of was the heatpump, but it was not even on, set to kick on at 68 and it was 70 in the house. Air handler was running just fine, we have it running 24/7 for air filtration but never been an issue before.

Most of the high amp stuff is connected via GFCI and that was not tripped.

We live in the middle of the country so hard to tell if anyone else had this issue as we did. Thought it might of been a surge to the service box? It was a calm night, warmish, nothing that shouts power outage.

Confused as to what happened and how I can fix it. We also thought it might of been an earthquake but none was reported in our area.

Maybe we are haunted? I am at a loss

Old 03-31-19, 06:41 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
Possibly the power feed for your area could've had a momentary interruption. Something like a car hitting a power power poll or an animal shorting out a transformer. You need to check with your neighbors to tell if it was an outside problem.

Old 03-31-19, 08:40 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would that explain the house vibrating before the power went out? It was like something out of a movie

Old 03-31-19, 08:53 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
Difficult to say. Sometimes a large explosion or thunder can cause a house to slightly vibrate. Even a large semi truck with the correct harmonics to match can cause a house to seem to vibrate. It c an be any number of things. Is there any major construction being done in your immediate area?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: