baseboard electric heaters

Old 04-09-19, 06:23 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
baseboard electric heaters

My house is heated with electric baseboard heaters. I'm on a dual fuel rate with my power company so I have half of my heaters on a separate panel that they can shut off in periods of high demand. I noticed a couple weeks ago that it seemed a little colder in my bedroom at night but didn't think much of it. Yesterday though I realized that no matter how high I turned up the 3 thermostats that control the heaters on that panel, none of them kicked on. No breakers were flipped, and I tested them with a multimeter and all are reading as they should. I would think next to check the thermostat, but since there are multiple thermostats controlling the heat, that it's unlikely they all three would go bad at the same time. Any ideas?

Old 04-09-19, 06:42 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
That really depends on how thermostats are wired.
I'd start with measuring continuity of TCO (thermal cut off) and resistance of the heater. It should read something pretty low probably around 10 ohms.

Since the heater is a simple resistance load, you can calculate expected resistance from your heater's rating.
R=V^2 / P where V is your heater's rated voltage and P is your heater's rated watt rating.

Old 04-09-19, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I tested them with a multimeter and all are reading as they should.
Did you actually measure 240vAC with the multimeter ?

Old 04-10-19, 04:11 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
How have you verified the bb heaters in question are not controlled by the power company controlled panel? Do the bb heaters in question have individual t'stats or are they controlled by an area t'stat that controls a power switch or switches?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: