Cost estimate for running power to backyard shed

Old 05-31-19, 10:37 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cost estimate for running power to backyard shed

Just took delivery on a "she shed" for my wife. It rests out in the back yard approximately 45 feet from my home breaker box located in the garage. I am going to do the inside walls, flooring and insulation, etc., but know very little about electrical outfitting and so I'm planning to hire an electrician do that part of the work.

I'm looking at 4 outlets inside, 1 ceiling box for a light/fan, 1 inside on/off switch, and 1 outside motion detecting light. Heating and cooling will be via either a ductless mini split system or a window mounted air conditioning/heating unit. There will be no other heavy duty appliances used in the shed.

I am going to dig the trench from the house to the shed myself.
My first estimate came in at $1200.

Question: Does that seem high, low or just right. I live in NW North Carolina.
If I need to provide other information, let me know and I'll try and get it.

Here's the "she-shed" by the way.
Name:  shed.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  90.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-12-19 at 09:32 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-19, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 218 Votes on 193 Posts
That price sounds not bad to me if it is from a "real" electrical contractor and not a general handyman type. I would recommend getting two more bids to be sure for your area.

Make sure you explain to each contractor what they need to do. so each will be bidding apples to apples. With the addition of a minisplit, you will likely be needing a small sub panel which could be installed outdoors if needed.

FYI your trench will need to be 18" for PVC and 24" if UF cable.

Old 06-02-19, 04:38 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tolyn, Thank you for the help - I do appreciate it. Second estimate was exactly the same as the first, so I guess for my area that is the going rate.

I'm about 8 inches deep on my trench so far, and dreading going another 8 " given the hard red North Carolina clay I'm burrowing into, but I'm committed at this point.

And yes, the gentleman doing the work is a genuine licensed electrician and has already mentioned the sub panel for the mini-split.

Thank you again.

Old 06-03-19, 06:29 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
That seems fair given the subpanel and mini split unit.

If you absolutely can't get to 18" or 24" deep, you can use thick wall steel conduit at only 6" deep. Downside is that it's more expensive and more labor to install.