AL CU Wire Connection: I'm assuming this is wrong...

Old 06-25-19, 09:38 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AL CU Wire Connection: I'm assuming this is wrong...

I just pulled out the 30 year old wall oven in my house. The wiring from the wall is aluminum and the wiring from the old oven was copper. The 4 pairs of wires were all connected with an AL-CU split lug but the connections weren't actually split. The aluminum and copper wires were just smashed together in the lug.

I am assuming that the new oven should have the wires actually split by the lug. Or am I missing something? The wires didn't show any sign of oxidation.

Thanks,
Bob

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-19, 12:46 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Are you certain you have aluminum conductors? In the picture it looks like "tinned" copper conductors. Look at the cut ends and see if they look like copper or take a knife and scrape the conductor to see if it is simply a tin plating over copper.

Old 06-26-19, 09:58 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It looks like it's aluminum. The cut ends are all silver and the ground wire has been stripped of insulation for about 8" and it's all silver too.

-Bob

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-19, 11:43 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
On the Al/CU split bolts the wires are to be separated by the divider, not connected and touching together on one side of the divider.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 06-27-19, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The pre-insulated connector like Polaris are nice . No need for all the taping required with split bolts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: