Totally confused, need some help

Old 06-26-19, 03:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Totally confused, need some help

I have a box in my kitchen with 2 plug and 2 switches. The first switch controls the light above the sink, the second switch controls the disposal in the sink. The light switch and both outlets work, the switch for the disposal does not. I have replaced the disposal and the second switch but the disposal still does not work. I have no idea what is happening. I think that the same breaker controls the entire box and everything else works but the switch for the disposal. I assume that the disposal pulls a fair bit of power, but would it have a separate breaker? No breakers are tripped. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-19, 03:45 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Welcome. You replaced the disposer and the switch, but did you check for power at the disposer? I would start there, then bak at the switch, but yes, very possible, even likely that the disposer is on a separate circuit, and yes you can have two circuits running into the same box. I'm sure it's crowded in there, but you should be able to check looking inside the box and counting the wires entering and exiting. Or you may want to start at your panel, verifying that everything is indeed "ON", keeping in mind that some can appear "ON" even when tripped, so you may need to switch "OFF" then back "ON" any circuits that are not readily identifiable.

Old 06-26-19, 04:43 PM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Hi, do you have a meter, and know how to use it?
Geo

Old 06-26-19, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Technically.... the disposer should not be on a countertop receptacle circuit. You may need to turn the circuit off..... take the devices out without disconnecting them.... and post a picture or two of the wiring. It's very possible the disposer doesn't get its power there.

How-to-insert-pictures.