Missing cable outlet box, cover plate loose

Old 07-22-19, 04:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Missing cable outlet box, cover plate loose

I have a cable outlet that appears not to have any outlet box behind it. The cover plate was just screwed right into the drywall. The pressure of the cables has pushed the cover plate away from the wall, and the drywall is too chewed up for the screws to stay screwed in anymore, so the face plate just dangles an inch out from the wall. I'm selling the house (we close this Friday) and need to make this look nicer. I thought about cutting a bigger hole in the drywall and installing a proper outlet box, but I can't tell if this thing is close enough to any stud to secure the box to, and that's a can of worms I don't want to open. Any ideas? Maybe I could install a larger wooden plate behind the existing one just to give the screws more purchase? Thanks!

Old 07-22-19, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Can you install an old work box? they have 'ears' that catch the back side of the drywall.

Old 07-22-19, 05:11 AM
J
How would I get the box back behind the drywall without cutting a hole in the drywall that's bigger than the box?

Old 07-22-19, 05:33 AM
J
I'm thinking maybe a toggle anchor of some sort

Old 07-22-19, 05:51 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
You're talking about coax, right? Don't let me steer you down the wrong path because I've been mislead before and it's been quite a while since I've installed any, but pretty sure that a box is not required, and that you can buy a new cover at your local hardware or big box that has a couple pieces on the back that will clamp the cover to the drywall when you tighten the screws. If that's what yours had initially maybe someone backed the screws all the way out at some point and those tabs are in the wall.

Old 07-22-19, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Old 07-22-19, 05:58 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The old work box installs from the room side.

Use the template provided, cut the hole, insert the box and as you tighten down small ears flip up to hold the box from the back side then you have something to attach the cover plate too.

Just watch the template and dont cut the hole too big then youve got a bigger problem.

Old 07-22-19, 08:52 PM
J
Cool, didn't know they make boxes that you can add after the drywall is up! Thanks for the info!

Old 07-22-19, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Don't even bother with a box. It's too hard to get the coax to bend in it. You need a low voltage trim ring. It installs the same way a box does and in the same size hole as a plastic electrical box. The screw holes in the ring will match your plate. These rings are available at all the home improvement stores.

Low voltage ring

Name:  lvr.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  7.4 KB

(Sorry..... just checked Marks link and he recommended the same device)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: