Exterior Wyze Camera Install

Old 07-24-19, 09:13 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Wyze Camera Install

I am in the process of installing a ring-based security system in my house from the ring doorbell to the ring security system. I'd like to use a Wyze Camera attached to the exterior siding to view the backyard. The camera will sit under an overhang and I might use an enclosure to protect it from the elements. I will need to run the wire into the house but not quite sure how to do that given I need an outlet.

Old 07-24-19, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Hi neighbor.

I moved you to the electrical forum as that's where the guys that do installs like this hang out.
See......here I am.

Anyway.... in looking at that wireless camera..... I see it comes with a 5v USB wall wart. You'd want that wall wart to plug in the attic as it's not weatherproof. Since it's low voltage.... you can drill a hole thru the soffit for the power wire.

Here's a video that pretty much is what you are doing. (a little comical too)

Old 07-31-19, 07:52 PM
S
That's the exact same video I watched. The outside of my garage is brick so I think I just need to drill a whole for the USB power cord. I have an open slot on the garage ceiling being used for the garage door opener that I can re-use. The only issue I see is the backyard as I will need a long run for the power cord unless I somehow tap into an external flood light.

Old 08-04-19, 08:17 PM
S
If I drill through the garage's brick exterior, should I use a grommet? There is an overhang so there would be some cover.

Old 08-04-19, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
When running wiring thru brick..... I just use clear silicone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: