Is there an adapter for me?

Old 07-31-19, 09:32 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there an adapter for me?

I'm new to this forum. Do not know if this question has been answered already. I know almost nothing about electrical technology.

I have a device that was made for me years ago by an electrician in Connecticut , that allowed me to access 2 standard house outlets on different circuits, and then plug a dryer into the device. This gave me the 220 volts I needed for the dryer. The man who made the adapter for me said it was "safe, but not legal".

Now, I live in Alabama. I want to plug this device into 2 circuits so that I can use my toaster oven, microwave and/or coffeemaker at the same time, without overloading a 15-amp circuit.

I'd like to use a 30-amp power strip. Is it possible to purchase an adapter that will plug into my device and allow me to use a power strip that has a standard 3-prong plug?

Is there an adapter made that will work for me?
Is what I'm proposing dangerous?
Is my explanation understandable?
Am I even using the right terminology?

Last edited by Fran S; 07-31-19 at 09:39 PM. Reason: To give locations
Old 08-01-19, 04:22 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
No such thing exists. You get more than is available from the circuit.

Old 08-01-19, 04:29 AM
A
Received 163 Upvotes on 136 Posts
No such adapter exists.

This device is dangerous on so many levels and violates so many electrical codes it would take a long time to list them all.

If you own the home you are in now have a line put in for your dryer. If you rent where you are living contact the landlord and request a line be put in.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 08-01-19, 01:21 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The combining of two 120v circuits into one 240v, like he said, isn't to code, but obviously worked (though of questionable safety).

What you're looking to do to combine two 120v circuits for a 'more powerful' 120v circuit doesn't work. You'll still likely trip your breakers when using multiple appliances at the same time, and cross-connecting circuits can cause other safety issues.

You will have to connect your coffee maker to one circuit, and your toaster to the other. Or make sure you're only using one at a time.

Or the best answer is to have the kitchen upgraded to current code with two 20A circuits at the countertop.

Old 08-04-19, 11:28 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for your answers. I'm glad I asked before trying this. I don't want anything bad to happen, and now it won't. BTW, I do have a proper dryer hookup where I live now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: