Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Does code allow to connect a light fixture to a smoke detector?

Old 08-10-19, 07:33 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I like to install a ceiling light fixture with remote dimmer in a location with no ceiling box. Very difficult to run conduit of any kind nearby. However, there is a hardwired smoke detector nearby. I could run a short flex conduit from smoke detector box to new location.
Is this code compliant? I don't think my smoke detector is on a dedicated circuit.

Old 08-10-19, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The NEC does not prohibit lights and smoke alarms on the same circuit. Some areas require a dedicated circuit with a breaker lock for smoke alarms. Your local officials can tell you of any local amendments. They would also be able to tell you about conduit rules.

Old 08-10-19, 09:17 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think you are right, sooner or later I need to find the local official. I am assuming I woudl find that person in the building permit department?

I am pretty certain that my smoke detectors are not on dedicated circuit. There is no dedicated circuit breaker. But I couldn't not figure on what circuit. Signal wire routing is a miser, maybe goes through shared circuits.

Old 08-10-19, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Probably on a lighting circuit.

Old 08-10-19, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I like to wire smoke detectors on a commonly used lighting circuit. That way if the circuit trips it will not go unnoticed.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-19, 01:41 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I like to wire smoke detectors on a commonly used lighting circuit. That way if the circuit trips it will not go unnoticed.
This is actually required by code on Ontario.

Old 08-12-19, 07:53 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
This is actually required by code on Ontario.
I'm going to have to look this up. My 2015 Ontario book (yes out of date), required a dedicated uninterrupted circuit for smoke detectors.

The requirements for active strobe lights when the smoke detectors go off is a requirement in Ontario.
This along with other new construction requirements for fire/CO2 have made my proactive upgrades very, very expensive (I have 3 children with heading aids / cochlear implants).

To the OP, quick call to your local building inspector and or fire inspector should answer this quickly for you.

Old 08-12-19, 08:45 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
It was in the 2012 code. The newest I have. If you have a link to a newer version I would love to have it.
From 2012 cec 32-110

(a) smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be supplied from a lighting circuit, or from a circuit that supplies a mix of lighting and receptacles, and in any case shall not be installed
(i) where prohibited by Rules 26-720 to 26-724; and
(ii) where the circuit is protected by a GFCI or AFCI;

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: