Choosing wire for under cabinet lighting

Old 08-23-19, 04:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Choosing wire for under cabinet lighting

Can anyone recommend a good wire to use for under cabinet lighting? I have decided to go with a low voltage option, which will likely be tape lighting. I'm assuming that I would need at minimum 18 AWG, but I'm guessing that 16 AWG would be better (possibly less voltage drop?). I would be looking for one that is in-wall rated. I'm not quite sure what type of wire I should buy. I can provide the exact specifications of the LEDs and the distances if that would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-19, 04:58 PM
L
Received 86 Votes on 74 Posts
I usually use 18-2 thermostat wire, but you can use pretty much any wire. Need riser rated cable for in-wall use. 16 AWG is unnecessary in most case. You need 16 AWG only if your wire runs a great distance or you have a lot of load. For most kitchen, this is not the case.

I have seen some electricians use CAT5 or even CAT6 and just bundle multiple wires to carry more current. I think this is a bad practice, but it works.

Making splices in the gap between cabinets makes wiring more neat and still accessible. There will be 1/2" gap (1/4" over hang on each wall cabinets) with most kitchen cabinets.

Old 08-24-19, 05:03 AM
Received 80 Votes on 75 Posts
Hi, itís hard to believe a licensed electrician would use CAT cable for installation, I donít believe itís even legal to parallel conductors that small, as far as I know 1/0 is the smallest conductor that can be paralled.
Geo

Old 08-24-19, 05:20 AM
L
Received 86 Votes on 74 Posts
It is low voltage and low current. Paralleling CAT5 is not that uncommon when it is repurposed for something other than data communication.

Old 08-24-19, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
I have never had an issue using 18/2 thermostat cable. It is small, rated for use inside walls, and can be found in brown and white for easier concealability under cabinets.