Replacing GE TR1515 Circuit Breakers

Old 08-31-19, 01:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing GE TR1515 Circuit Breakers

GE has stopped producing the TR1515 Circuit Breaker. Used breakers can be purchased on eBay for $35 to $100 - more or less.

I took my TR1515 to Home Depot and found that it matched the Siemens Q1515 ($10.00) in almost every detail. The one problem is that the Siemens has a metal tab that prevents it from seating all the way into the box. (Sorry I don't have a pre-modification photo of the Siemens.

After comparing every detail of the GE and the Siemens, I decided I would remove the metal tab from the Siemens. I took needle nose pliers, forced them under the tab, and twisted until it broke free - also breaking a bit of the plastic housing. The modified Siemens snapped in all the way and is working like a charm.

I have attached an image of the GE (left) next to the modified Siemens.

I hope this is helpful and welcome all comments.

To assist people searching for their circuit breaker, I'm including these search terms - outdated, XT4-540, Model 3, 225523-B, E11592-C, Trumbull.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-19, 05:37 AM
J
Received 251 Votes on 221 Posts
What you did is not to be done. It is against code to install breakers that are not certified for your panel. Modifying the breaker makes it even worse.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-31-19, 05:58 AM
L
Received 71 Votes on 65 Posts
What you removed is a rejection tab that keeps you from over loading the panel by using tandem breakers. (aka CTL breaker)
In modern panels, you may only install tandem breakers in certain spaces, which will accept breaker with rejection tab.
There are tandem breakers without rejection tab designed to be used with old non CTL load centers. (Non-CTL breakers). Available in Eaton BR series and Siemens QT series from what I can find..
Both are not listed to use on GE panel, but at least you don't have to modify the breaker.

Old 08-31-19, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
almost every detail
Almost is the keyword here. Modifying a circuit breaker and installing it is a panel that is not rated for it is a good way to create a fire hazard.

If you really needed more circuit spaces I would suggest installing a sub-panel.